Friday, January 14, 2011

Nostalgia

Today, I kept seeking out images and things from the past. A picture from 1909 a block from where my studio sits today from the wonderful Free Library of Philadelphia archives...




... Those red bordered labels that I use as if they were made of gold.




And the map I scanned today, from the geography text book that belonged to one of my ancestors a long time ago.



The most pleasant surprise was to discover that a company, named Esselte, still makes beautiful, sewn, acid-free ledgers so that, as they say on their site, you can "Be certain that important records stay in tact for a long, long...time!"
Esselte Ledger

That makes me happy, deep down in the cockles of my bookbinding heart.


P.S. I also wanted to say thank you to Ellie of the Mint Design Blog for her lovely feature about Huldra Press, and say hello to some new readers too. Hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Marianne, I have some similar labels I have been holding onto for a long time, and have yet use for anything. Also, a big ol' tablet of lovely gridded paper. Send me your address and I'll mail you fun stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I just found your blog through the mint design blog & I wanted to let you know that I love your work! Your books are amazing. I've been thinking about trying my hand at bookbinding and looking at yours is totally inspiring me!

    Oh. Also - about that record ledger above - I work at a hotel and last week, I was looking through one of the storage closets that nobody even uses anymore & I found a whole stack of record ledgers that looked almost exactly like the one in that picture! It felt magical, finding them. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete